Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chex Muddy Buddies


Behold, my friends, the most divine of sweet treats: Muddy Buddies!

I think I've died and gone to heaven.

This tasty delight embodies the holy trinity of baking: peanut butter, chocolate, and butter. What could go wrong with a combination like that?

Nothing.

Except maybe eating myself into a sugar-induced coma.


That's why having a buddy around (pun intended), to share these with is essential.

Three random memories involving Muddy Buddies and other buddies:
  1. I was first introduced to Muddy Buddies by classmate S. in 5th grade (she called them "Puppy Chow"). S made a batch in the student multipurpose room in front of the whole class, describing each step as she went along, for the assigned "demonstration" project. I was thoroughly impressed with my 10-year old, destined-for-stardom-as-a-cooking-show-host classmate, and in love with the sweeter-than-sweet Puppy Chow.
  2. During the summer between 6th and 7th grade, I had my first taste of adolescent independence when neighbor S. suggested we make Muddy Buddies, then convinced Mama B that we could walk the half mile to the grocery store to buy the ingredients all by ourselves. Oh, how I loved you in that moment, neighbor S! (I loved you, too, Muddy Buddies.)
  3. When our dance group participated in Relay for Life in high school to raise money for cancer research, Katie and I made a batch of Muddy Buddies to bring as a snack. Two types of buddies kept us going through the all-night walk: the muddy kind, and the BFF kind.
    The Chex people at General Mills know how to create a product that's good for business. Muddy Buddies are a cinch to make and deliciously addicting. Self-control be darned, I can't stop myself from eating these unless a buddy stronger than myself is around to take them away.

    The recipe on the back of the cereal box should come with a warning: "Seriously addicting sweet treat. Strict adherence to the 'buddy system' should be maintained while making and eating Chex Muddy Buddies."

    Anybody want to be my buddy? Please? Help me!!!

    -Becky


    Chex Muddy Buddies
    Recipe adapted from back of Corn Chex cereal box

    9 cups Rice or Corn Chex
    1 cup chocolate chips
    1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1. In large bowl, measure cereal. Set aside.
    2. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, heat chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on High for 1 minute. Stir.
    3. Microwave for about 30 seconds more, until mixture can be stirred smooth.
    4. Stir in vanilla.
    5. Pour mixture over cereal. Stir with large spoon or spatula until cereal is evenly coated.
    6. Pour 1 cup powdered sugar into 1-gallon ziploc bag. Pour in half of cereal. Seal and shake until cereal is evenly coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Repeat with remaining powdered sugar and cereal. Store in airtight container in refrigerator or freezer. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment