Sunday, August 8, 2010

Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies


Dearest Chocolate,

I just wanted to tell you I haven't forgotten about you.   Yes, I know how silly that sounds.  I mean, I've barely given you the time of day lately.  I've been spending my time with non-chocolatey desserts like blueberry pie, cheesecake ice cream, carrot cake cookies, and honey-peach ice cream.

 

Even when we have hung out lately, it's only been in the company of other treats, like mint ice cream, or oatmeal cookies AND ice cream.

That hasn't left us much alone time, has it?  So I'd understand if you're a little upset with me, Chocolate.

But I want to make it up to you.


These cookies are all about Chocolate.  One whole pound of you for only 12 cookies.  Because even though me and you sometimes have to take a break from each other (I admit, I already have a date for next week with a crisp made from a certain, freshly-picked-from-the-orchard stone fruit), I'll always come back to you, Chocolate.  That's what being BFFs means.

It will always me you and me.  I promise.


Okay, maybe you, me, and a glass of cold milk.

Always Yours,
Katie

PS - Chocolate, I know you might have been mad at me, but is that any reason to attack my e-reader?  Isn't it enough to sabotage my waistline?  I'll forgive you just this once (only because I happened to have paper towels and Fantastik nearby), but if you ever get close to my Kindle again, I might have to reconsider your BFF status.


PPS - I'm sorry, Chocolate.  I didn't mean that.  The Kindle disaster was all my fault.  I'd never take away your BFF status.  Please don't be mad at me.  I need you.


Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Elinor Klivan's Big Fat Cookies
Makes 12 giant cookies

1 2/3 c semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, slightly softened (for about 30 minutes)
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 large cold egg
1 generous tsp vanilla extract
1 c semisweet chocolate chunks

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment.

2. Heat 2/3 c (4 oz) of the chocolate chips in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir the heated chocolate until melted and smooth.  If lumps remain, heat in the microwave in 15 second intervals until stirring leaves no more lumps.  Set aside.

3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smoothly blended, about 1 minute, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing.  On low speed, mix in the melted chocolate chips until blended.  Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until just blended, about 1 minute.  Add the flour mixture, mixing until it is just incorporated.  Stir in the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips and the 1 cup chocolate chunks.

4. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 c measuring cup, scoop mounds of dough onto the baking sheets, spacing cookies 3 inches apart.  (I get 4 cookies to a sheet.)

5. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until they crack slightly on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cookie come out with moist crumbs, not wet batter, about 15-18 minutes. (Make sure you get plain cookie with the toothpick, not a chocolate chip).  I like to bake mine for one minute more than half the anticipated baking time, then rotate the cookie sheet. (So for 15 minutes in the oven, I bake for 8 minutes, then rotate the sheet.)

6. Cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.  The outsides of the cookies will become crisp as the cookies cool.

The cookies can be stored in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 4 days, but I find that these are best on the day or day after they are baked.

1 comment:

  1. All that chocolate. I can only think of Pat saying "Mmm, decadent."

    Looks good. Heh heh, I like how the picture is pretty much face-palming the chocolate attack.

    ReplyDelete