Pssst. Hey You. Yeah, You. C'mere.
Wanna know a secret?
This recipe will greatly improve your self-esteem.
Wanna know another secret?
It's also one of the easiest recipes ever.
*Gasp!* What's that you say? You don't believe me?
Okay, fine. I'll demonstrate.
Here you go. Try one of these.
Oh, my, well thank you. Yes, I agree, they are quite tasty. Just the right amount of tartness and sweetness, yes. Sure you can have another.
Yes, I agree. They are quite addicting. You're gonna be like my co-workers and start calling these Lemon Crack Bars because of that now, aren't you?
What? No!!!! Of course they don't actually have drugs in them. My co-workers are just witty like that. Geez.
Yes. You can have a third.
What's that now? I must be an incredible baker to have made such a heavenly treat?
Ha. Point #1 proved. And yes, I am an incredible baker.
What did you say? You'd like the recipe? Sure, no problem. Let me just look it up for you...
Oh wait! No need. I have it memorized since I make these so often. This is where I prove Point #2 - this is one of the easiest recipes ever. Here you go.
Yes, you're welcome in advance too. Consider it my donation to the world's self-esteem.
Goodbye now! And thanks for stopping when I creepily said "Hey you, c'mere!"
Oatmeal Lemon Creme Bars
recipe by Katie
Makes 54 bite size bars
zest of one lemon
2/3 cup lemon juice
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 c flour
1 c oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)
1 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
9 tbsp butter, melted
1. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine lemon juice, zest, and sweetened condensed milk, stirring until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder. Pour in melted butter and mix with fingers until mixture is crumbly.
4. Press a little more than half the crumb mixture into the 9x13 pan. Top with the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Sprinkle the rest of crumb mixture over the top.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are just starting to brown.
6. Let cool in pan on wire rack, then chill until cold. Using parchment, remove bars from pan onto cutting board. Cut into small bars. Store in refrigerator.