Monday, June 14, 2010

Match Monday: Gotta Have My Pops!

PROFILE
In my own words: I might be one of the sweetest catches you'll ever find.
For fun: Long walks in the corn fields of Kansas.
Favorite things: Corny jokes, Saturday morning cartoons


Today's Match Monday treat is another one suggested Guy-Who-Doesn't-Like-Kittens.* (Is anyone else wishing I had picked a different nickname for Guy-Who-Doesn't-Like-Kittens because you're tired of reading "Guy-Who-Doesn't-Like-Kittens"? Yeah? Okay. Let's just call him Guy.)

Unlike many of my other Match Monday guys, Guy actually got to go on a real-life date with me, where we found out we had exactly two things in common:

1) An addiction to the Food Network.

2) A love for late night cereal.

These days, my late night cereal staple is Kashi GoLean Crunch with greek yogurt and loads of cinnamon. But when I'm feeling indulgent, I go for the bright orange bag of Malt-O-Meal Mini Spooners, aka, generic Frosted Mini Wheats...but only if I've been to Pathmark or C-Town, since our neighborhood Key Food no longer carries Mini Spooners.

What's that about, Key Food?! I mean, seriously. What's a girl gotta do around here to get her favorite less-expensive-but-better-tasting bite-sized squares of sugared wheat?!

Guy, however, never has a problem getting his favorite cereal, because his has been on the shelves of every supermarket and bodega across America since the 1950's - Kellogg's Corn Pops.

And boy, does Guy like his Corn Pops. Our (one-sided) conversation went something like this:

Guy: Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night and just wanted a bowl of Corn Pops? That happened to me once. My roommate thought I was crazy. I just woke up and really wanted some Corn Pops so I put on some pants and went down to the bodega and got some Corn Pops and ate a giant bowl right there in the middle of the night. Ooooo! Do you think you could make a treat out of Corn Pops?! You know, like Rice Krispie Treats but with Corn Pops?!

Like I said, he was stoked about Corn Pops. I mean, I like my Mini Spooners, but this was something else.

So while Guy and I don't have a future together (because while love for cereal and the Food Network are definitely pluses, they are nothing to build a relationship on), I did feel like I owed it to Guy to at least attempt a Corn Pops treat.

Becky and I found this recipe on the Kellogg's website. It won out over the others because
1) it was already 10pm on a weeknight and this one was quick, and
2) we had all the ingredients in our cupboard (except for the Corn Pops, but a quick trip to the corner bodega fixed that).

So here you go, Guy. These are your favorite sugar-glazed corn puffs, basically glazed with multiple other forms of sugar.


Chocolate Corn Pop Clusters

adapted from Kellogg's®

1cup chocolate chips
1cup butterscotch chips
2tablespoons peanut butter
4cups Corn Pops®
3/4cup salted cocktail peanuts (optional)












1. Melt chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and peanut butter together in large saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth, or heat in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth. Add KELLOGG'S CORN POPS cereal and peanuts, if desired. Stir until well coated.

2. Drop by rounded measuring-teaspoons onto waxed paper or buttered baking sheets. Let stand at room temperature until firm.

*Nicknames are my own. I will never reveal usernames or any identifying information beyond what is already public on Match.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment