Monday, June 21, 2010

Match Monday: Rice Krispy Peanut Butter Fudge Treats

PROFILE
In my own words: I'm intense - intensely sweet, that is! I always get reactions out of people. At first glance I might appear sophisticated and smooth, but underneath I'm still a kid at heart.
For fun: Hanging out with friends Snap, Crackle, and Pop.
Favorite things: Summers at the community pool, Reese's peanut butter cups

Today's Match Monday treat is yet another one suggested by Guy* and Gasp! it involves cereal, just like last week's treat.

Guy asked if I make Rice Krispy Treats. "Really?!" I thought, "Rice Krispy Treats? Aren't those for kids?" Then a little voice in my head that sounded not unlike our DaddyBob's answered, "No, Silly Rabbit, Trix Treats are for kids." Then that little voice laughed at its own joke, just like DaddyBob would have.

But I digress.

Guy made me think - have I ever made Rice Krispy Treats? I know I at least helped Mama B as she made them for every dance show, BBQ, birthday party, and camping trip of our childhood years.

I also remember that she made a batch and dropped them off at the dorms a month into my freshman year of college. For whatever reason - probably because we didn't have a real knife nor an air conditioner - cutting those bars made me really sweaty, which I announced to my still-new roommate, which was immediately awkward, then hilariously funny.

But I digress again.

My point is that I have definitely not made Rice Krispy Treats in my adult lifetime and didn't particularly care to. One, I overdosed as a kid. Two, no one in my life has requested them. Three, they pose absolutely no baking challenge. Four - RK Treats are for kids!

Enter Rice Krispy Peanut Butter Fudge Treats.

They're slick, they're sophisticated, they require the essential baking skill of patience (which I need lots of practice at), and they are certainly not for kids, unless you're prepared to deal with the sugar high and subsequent crash these babies cause.

And, they're moan-inducing delicious. Here's an exact quote from Mama B when she tasted these:

"Oh wow. Oh. Oh wow. Wow. Ooooohhhh Wooooooowwww."

It got slightly awkward. But then it was also quite funny.

So here's to our little Rice Krispy Treats all grown up. I look forward to making these again for birthday parties, and BBQs, and camping trips, and...and...


Rice Krispy Peanut Butter Fudge Treats

PART 1
Rice Krispy Treats

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispy Cereal (or any puffed rice cereal)

1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray.

4. Cool. Make Peanut Butter Fudge.

PART 2
Peanut Butter Fudge
(recipe from Alton Brown)
1 cup butter
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound confectioners (powdered) sugar
1. Microwave butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes on high.
2. Stir and microwave on high for 2 more minutes. Add vanilla and powdered sugar to peanut butter mixture and stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
3. Pour over the Rice Krispy Treats in the pan and spread evenly.
4. Let cool in the fridge while you make the Chocolate Fudge.

PART 3
Easy Chocolate Fudge
2 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 2/3 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

1. Combine butter, milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

2. Stir in marshmallows, chocolate, and vanilla. Beat for about 1 minute, or until marshmallows melt and mixture is thoroughly combined.

3. Pour over peanut butter fudge, spread evenly and place in the fridge to harden and cool.

4. Cut into 1-inch pieces or smaller. Store in fridge for firmer fudge; on counter top for softer fudge.

*Nicknames are my own. I will never reveal usernames or any identifying information beyond what is already public on Match.com.

1 comment: